SQL help from someone who groks c, please?

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Mon Feb 5 01:14:28 CET 2007

Hey all...

Disclaimer: If I should ask this on the devel list, let me know and I
will.  As I'm not qualified in the languages to be a developer, this
seemed the more logical place.

I'm decent with Radius but have just come to freeradius over Cistron...I'm
still in the process of assimilating the "op" syntax, but that's not the
problem, I think.

That said, I figured out two possible ways to handle my previous question
regarding advanced SQL auth (including multiple occurances of the same
username with different check-items).  What I need to know is which way it
was "intended" to work (either one of my two thoughts here, or something
entirely -- or even "what I want to do isn't possible".)

Here's the thought (apologies if the tabs get messed up).

a) The rows returned are parsed in order, just as if they were a users
file, and something (perhaps a password entry or an op of ==) triggers the
system that it's on the "next record".

of

b) The "id" field (which some of the docs say are unused) is used to
"bind" multiple items having the same ID.

i.e (citing my earlier example)...

Jeremy nas-ip-address="the vpn server" password="x"
Service-Type = "Framed-User"

# Our switches, which we trust jeremy not to mess up
Jeremy password = "y"
Service-Type = "Admin-User"

Jeremy nas-ip-address="a big powerful router"
Service-Type = Reject

If it's (a):

Based on the standard values in the database, would this work:

id	username	attribute	value		op
1	jeremy		password	X		==
2	jeremy		nas-ip-address	"vpnsvr"	:=
3	jeremy		password	y		==
4	jeremy		password	"z"		==
5	jeremy		nas-ip-address	"router"	:=

The problem I see with this one is that a) there's no easy way to keep
your (presumably auto-increment) id field entries properly ordered.

Also, line 4 above doesn't make sense -- there really ARE no check items
that would work here.  If line 4 above were deleted, it would instead
match password=y, nas-ip-address=router (again, I may be missing something
critical about operators and their signaling here).

Also, based on this, you would have to then find which attributes in the
reply table to ask, which could *possibly* be based on the id of the
"password" attribute, but that's hardly normalized.

If it's (b):

id	username	attribute	value		op
1	jeremy		password	X		==
1	jeremy		nas-ip-address	"vpnsvr"	:=
2	jeremy		password	y		==
3	jeremy		password	"z"		==
3	jeremy		nas-ip-address	"router"	:=

This one implies you either have a keyless table (bad), or that there's
another key value here, which isn't in the included schemas.  It also
implies that the server acutally LOOK AT the "id" value to know when to
stop parsing.  In this case your reply items would be pulling based on
that "id" field, not the username at all (since in this case the username
is not unique).

/endif

The assumption I worked with is: My knowledge of SQL is far better than my
knowledge of the inner workings of freeradius-SQL.

What I've done is I've had to hard code the NAS-IP address into my
queries, coupled with some special tables to return the right values
expected by certain network devices (for example), if it's a PDU, return
the admin (or userlevel) service-type for those devices, if it's a switch,
return the appropriate there -- even allowing our customers access to
those PDU ports that they control, but this still isn't as flexible as an
old-fashioned users file.  In reality, I should be able to return ALL
records related, and radius should pick up the differences in the
check-items, instead of the query only returning a select few.  This will
make more sense if we decide we need to start checking more values than
just the one.

I've also had to UNION my queries together because employees and clients
are in different tables (and I am only checking on employee access on
some devices -- but this is also done through the SQL).

I noticed, interestingly enough, that UNION works, but the semicolon does
not (perhaps this is to prevent SQL injection?).  As I am unable to grok
the c, I can't be sure.

I.e. at the moment there's about forty users, some of which have differing
access than others, and there's no real radius "groups", since each
person's needs are slightly different and vary based on what each person
has been certified and tested on.

Apologies for seeming long.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know, please.  I may be able to compensate
someone for an hour or two of consultation time, if it gets the questions
answered (please contact me off-list regarding this).

-Dan