Hibernating: Major impact on authentication!

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Feb 6 10:14:47 CET 2007

Kenneth Marshall wrote:
> Mr. Franco,
>
> I have not looked at the DB connection code, but is there a connection
> timer on the DB connection. That is, does the connection get dropped

No

> If the latter, the problem could be that the long running connections
> are not allowing the indexes and table spaces to be maintained properly.
> This could cause bloat and performance problems over time. After a

At least on Postgres, this is NOT correct.

Open *transactions* block such activity. However the base rlm_sql
doesn't use transactions because they're un-needed, and the
rlm_sql_ippool module executes very short running transactions indeed.

I believe the OP is running Postgres, but if anyone finds themselves
running a database where maintaining long-running connections blocks
maintenance jobs, I would recommend the un-install it immediately.