radiusd sending to wrong NAS port

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Feb 16 17:47:28 CET 2007

Frank DiGennaro wrote:
> as it should. My Cisco has this:
>
> radius-server host 192.168.3.1 auth-port 1812 acct-port 1813

  Which is the port which packets are sent TO.

> as it should. /etc/services is also 1812. So I run radius –x and try to
> log into the Cisco. My radius server responds like this:
>
> rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 192.168.3.30:1645, id=2, length=88

  One, that is NOT response.  It's a request that the server has received.

  Two, the request is marked as being FROM port 1645.  The source port
is chosen by the NAS, and doesn't matter to anyone.  It has nothing
whatsoever to do with the server port TO which packets are sent.

> Sending Access-Accept of id 2 to 192.168.3.30 port 1645

  The server responds with an accept.  Why are you worried?

> Like I said, radius.h defines port 1812. What am I missing?

  TO != FROM.

  If it works (and it looks like it does), there isn't much point in
spending time wondering why it's broken.  It's not.