Compile error -- HELP

Garrett.Marks at wichita.edu Garrett.Marks at wichita.edu
Tue Feb 27 17:00:50 CET 2007

> ken wrote:
> > I am trying to install freeradius 1.1.4 on solaris 10 using the
> > following commands.
> >
> > ../configure --without-rlm-x99-token
> >
> > configure creates the Makefile
>
>   It also produces other error messages, I think.
>
> > I then run make and get the following error
> > false cru .libs/libradius.a  crypt.o dict.o filters.o hash.o hmac.o
>
>   You don't have a dynamic linker on your system.  Install one.
>
>   Alan DeKok.

I had almost the same error compiling libxml on Solaris 10 x86 recently.
In that instance the appropriate command was "ar", which was installed on
the system, however I hadn't included /usr/ccs/bin in my PATH at the time
I ran configure.  Once I reran configure with /usr/ccs/bin in my path I
was able to compile without the error.

I was able to reproduce the problem under the conditions I just described
with freeradius 1.1.4.  Here are all the warnings I received

/software/oss/builds/freeradius-1.1.4> ./configure --without-rlm-x99-token
> /tmp/config2.out
f90: Warning: Option -print-search-dirs passed to ld, if ld is invoked,
ignored otherwise
Usage: f90 [ options ] files.  Use 'f90 -flags' for details
config.status: WARNING:  ./Make.inc.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir
setting
config.status: WARNING:  ./src/include/build-radpaths-h.in seems to ignore
the --datarootdir setting
f90: Warning: Option -print-search-dirs passed to ld, if ld is invoked,
ignored otherwise
Usage: f90 [ options ] files.  Use 'f90 -flags' for details
configure: WARNING: silently not building rlm_counter.
configure: WARNING: FAILURE: rlm_counter requires:  libgdbm.
configure: WARNING: silently not building rlm_ippool.
configure: WARNING: FAILURE: rlm_ippool requires:  libgdbm.
configure: WARNING: the comm_err library isn't found!
configure: WARNING: silently not building rlm_krb5.
configure: WARNING: FAILURE: rlm_krb5 requires:  krb5.
configure: WARNING: silently not building rlm_ldap.
configure: WARNING: FAILURE: rlm_ldap requires:  libldap_r.
configure: WARNING: silently not building rlm_perl.
configure: WARNING: FAILURE: rlm_perl requires:  EXTERN.h perl.h.
configure: WARNING: iodbc headers not found.  Use
--with-iodbc-include-dir=<path>.
configure: WARNING: sql submodule 'iodbc' disabled
configure: WARNING: oracle headers not found.  Use
--with-oracle-home-dir=<path>.
configure: WARNING: sql submodule 'oracle' disabled
configure: WARNING: unixODBC headers not found.  Use
--with-unixodbc-include-dir=<path>.
configure: WARNING: sql submodule 'unixodbc' disabled

/software/oss/builds/freeradius-1.1.4> grep -i warn /tmp/config2.out
/software/oss/builds/freeradius-1.1.4> tail /tmp/config2.out
checking for fgetpwent... yes
checking for fgetspent... yes
checking for fgetgrent... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
=== configuring in src/modules/rlm_checkval
(/software/oss/builds/freeradius-1.1.4/src/modules/rlm_checkval)
configure: running /bin/bash ./configure '--prefix=/usr/local'
'--without-rlm-x99-token' '--enable-ltdl-install' --cache-fil
e=/dev/null --srcdir=.
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile

It seems that, at least on Solaris 10, in some cases if the configure
script can't find 'ar' then it likes to continue without warning (I don't
recall seeing a warning with libxml, but I can't say for sure there wasn't
one) and 'false' gets set as the command to use, which causes problems
during the make. Is this appropriate behaviour, or should configure error
if it can't find 'ar', a command that is apparently necessary for the
compile to successfully complete?