Can't access Internet?

Tim Tyler tyler at beloit.edu
Mon Jan 8 18:40:19 CET 2007

FreeRadius experts,
   We are trying to run FreeRadius on a RedHat AS 2.1 system.  We use
an external password file for authentication defined in the unix
system (password = filename) section of radius.conf.  This seems to
work fine.  Modem users can authenticate to our old 3com Total
Control modem pool, but users can not access the Internet.  They can
access all local domain servers on campus, but they can't get off
campus.  This really should not be a firewall  issue as the same ip
addresses are still associated with the modem pool.
   Note: if we go back to our old Lucent Technology radius server
running on AIX, everybody is fine and can access the Internet again.
   I am trying to find out what might cause a modem pool to only work
locally (access servers on our campus) after switching to FreeRadius
particularly since it seems that the authentication part is
working?  I know that the 3com Total Control modem pool is rather old
but I don't know why it would behave differently from one radius
server to another as long as authentication works.
   I read in one of the FreeRadius archives that some users have
experienced a similar problem of either very slow or won't work at
all for some customers accessing the Internet via Freeradius
authentication until they modified the MTU setting.  This is curious
to me.  Is there a place in FreeRadius that I might change the mtu
setting given that I am using an external unix password crypt file
for all authentication?  If so, what mtu setting might be recommended?
   Is there another possible explanation that might relate to Freeradius?
any thoughts are much appreciated?

Tim Tyler
Network Engineer - Beloit College
tyler at beloit.edu