My PPTP+802.1X+MS-CHAP+EAP+OpenLDAP+MySQL Project.

Thibault Le Meur Thibault.LeMeur at supelec.fr
Thu Jan 11 09:10:20 CET 2007

Hi,

> The issue with the VPNs is that even through Client Side PPP uses
> MS-CHAP, FreeRadius is causing pppd to think its authenticating normal CHAP.
>
> Jan  9 03:09:00 kurama pppd[12373]: Peer User failed CHAP authentication
> rlm_mschap: Found LM-Password
> rlm_mschap: Found NT-Password
> rlm_mschap: No MS-CHAP-Challenge in the request
>
> Now, The Server works fine when I turn off the Radius plugin and enter
> the and enter stuff in the chap-secrets. This is the output of radisd -fX

Humm... have you checked possible error messages in /var/log/messages
(where pppd and the radius plugin output by default) ?

I remember I had an equivalent problem once... could you check that
your radiusclient on the VPN side has got the dictionary.microsoft
file in its dictionary directory ?
----
#
#       Microsoft's VSA's, from RFC 2548
#
#       $Id: dictionary.microsoft,v 1.1 2002/03/06 13:23:09 dfs Exp $
#

VENDOR          Microsoft       311     Microsoft

ATTRIBUTE       MS-CHAP-Response        1       string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-CHAP-Error           2       string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-CHAP-CPW-1           3       string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-CHAP-CPW-2           4       string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-CHAP-LM-Enc-PW       5       string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-CHAP-NT-Enc-PW       6       string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-MPPE-Encryption-Policy 7     string  Microsoft
# This is referred to as both singular and plural in the RFC.
# Plural seems to make more sense.
ATTRIBUTE       MS-MPPE-Encryption-Type 8       string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-MPPE-Encryption-Types  8     string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-RAS-Vendor           9       integer Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-CHAP-Domain          10      string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-CHAP-Challenge       11      string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-CHAP-MPPE-Keys       12      string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-BAP-Usage            13      integer Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-Link-Utilization-Threshold 14 integer        Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-Link-Drop-Time-Limit 15      integer Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-MPPE-Send-Key        16      string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-MPPE-Recv-Key        17      string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-RAS-Version          18      string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-Old-ARAP-Password    19      string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-New-ARAP-Password    20      string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-ARAP-PW-Change-Reason 21     integer Microsoft

ATTRIBUTE       MS-Filter               22      string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-Acct-Auth-Type       23      integer Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-Acct-EAP-Type        24      integer Microsoft

ATTRIBUTE       MS-CHAP2-Response       25      string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-CHAP2-Success        26      string  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-CHAP2-CPW            27      string  Microsoft

ATTRIBUTE       MS-Primary-DNS-Server   28      ipaddr  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-Secondary-DNS-Server 29      ipaddr  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-Primary-NBNS-Server  30      ipaddr  Microsoft
ATTRIBUTE       MS-Secondary-NBNS-Server 31     ipaddr  Microsoft

#ATTRIBUTE      MS-ARAP-Challenge       33      string  Microsoft

#
#       Integer Translations
#

#       MS-BAP-Usage Values

VALUE           MS-BAP-Usage            Not-Allowed     0
VALUE           MS-BAP-Usage            Allowed         1
VALUE           MS-BAP-Usage            Required        2

#       MS-ARAP-Password-Change-Reason Values

VALUE   MS-ARAP-PW-Change-Reason        Just-Change-Password            1
VALUE   MS-ARAP-PW-Change-Reason        Expired-Password                2
VALUE   MS-ARAP-PW-Change-Reason        Admin-Requires-Password-Change  3
VALUE   MS-ARAP-PW-Change-Reason        Password-Too-Short              4

#       MS-Acct-Auth-Type Values

VALUE           MS-Acct-Auth-Type       PAP             1
VALUE           MS-Acct-Auth-Type       CHAP            2
VALUE           MS-Acct-Auth-Type       MS-CHAP-1       3
VALUE           MS-Acct-Auth-Type       MS-CHAP-2       4
VALUE           MS-Acct-Auth-Type       EAP             5

#       MS-Acct-EAP-Type Values

VALUE           MS-Acct-EAP-Type        MD5             4
VALUE           MS-Acct-EAP-Type        OTP             5
VALUE           MS-Acct-EAP-Type        Generic-Token-Card      6
VALUE           MS-Acct-EAP-Type        TLS             13