Best practices for redundant servers

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Thu Jan 18 23:19:21 CET 2007

On Mon 06 Nov 2006 19:38, Aaron Paetznick wrote:
> Thanks, this was helpful.  I would rather not use LVS.  I would prefer
> to use the built-in functionality of the NAS to fall back from a primary
> to secondary or tertiary auth/accounting servers.
>
> This whole setup would be far simpler and more robust if I could just do
> master-master replication with the MySQL servers.  Oh well.

master-master = bad-bad

Dont even consider it!!!!!!!!! MySQL's master-master implimentation is
completely brain dead and WILL give you corrupt data is a very short time
period (It doesn't do ANY locking across the cluster!!!).

If you must use Mysql, use Master-Slave replication for as many authorization
servers as you wish, but configure only ONE radius server to actually write
accounting to the master database and all the others to use radrelay (or
radsqlrelay) to get the data to that server

Cheers
--

Peter Nixon
http://www.peternixon.net/