Splitting the password field in freeRADIUS

Dan Geist dan.geist at cox.com
Tue Jan 23 22:35:06 CET 2007

I currently use SecurID as the auth back-end for a AAA system utilizing
Radius and TACACS+, both with the native linux PAM agent (as opposed to
integrating with the FUNK (now Juniper) daemon).

I found it easier to troubleshoot if only native SecurID auth requests
were coming into the servers and only radius requests came into the
radius servers. It also simplifies the SecurID server administration and
configuration (if you're not familiar with its internals, there are a
lot of moving pieces already without adding additional listening
services).

As for combining the kerb/SID credentials, you may want to redirect all
your inbound radius auth requests to an external module (in perl for
example) that can chop the request in half and issue a PAM sequence for
each, etc. etc. then return the results to freeradius.

Dan

--
Dan Geist | dan.geist at cox.com | (404) 269-6822
Cox Communications - Engineering Security