a freeradious/wireless solution for a school

gkalinec gkalinec at newroads.org
Thu Jan 25 15:56:54 CET 2007

Hi,m
Thank you for the informative reply.  It'll take a couple of days to gigest
all of it (me being so new to this and all :) ), but I think I can take a
look at the PEAP solution.
As far as the the APs, believe me, this is a fight I've already lost.  Being
a school, we have next to nothing in the IT budget (it took me a year to
convince them that yes, we do need managed switches), and even getting money
for infrastructure is a hassle.
Thank you,

German Kalinec

David Wood-6 wrote:

> Hi German,
>
> You've already had much wisdom; I'm going to try a comprehensive reply
> to the whole problem.
>
> In message <8437548.post at talk.nabble.com>, gkalinec
> <gkalinec at newroads.org> writes
>>I work for a mid-size private school (about 700-800 people on campus), and
>>I'm trying to set up a way to limit the use of our wireless to our
>>students/staff.  The main problem that I'm encountering is finding a
>>solution that will fit our needs.
>
> Yours is hardly the biggest wireless deployment; there are solutions
> that exist for this.
>

>>  A little background first...
>>When I first started (about a year ago, and I'm still the only IT person
>>managing the whole school network) we had crappy wireless at different
>>places on campus for students and staff to access our network.  The person
>>who set these up (my current boss) simply did a MAC access control list on
>>each AP and made the students and staff come to him to register their
>>computers.  This was a major pain since each of our APs (7 of them) had to
>>have the new MAC address manually added to each AP every time we had a new
>>laptop.  The problem with this solution (aside from having to enter the
MACs
> [...]
> of all the CLI commands.
>

> There is a single band version of the 8760, the 7760 (capable of 802.11a
> or 802.11b/g, but not both at once unlike the 8760).
>

> I had a quick look at the manual of the Netgear WPN802v1, and it's a
> device that I'd class only as a consumer grade AP - in fact, it falls
> well short of what most consumer grade APs can achieve. Despite the
> documentation of EAP and WPA2 in the appendix to the manual, it doesn't
> appear from the specification to support anything higher than WPA-PSK,
> which is useless in this context. Handing out a passphrase to 100+ users
> just isn't on.
>

> You hint later that the Netgear APs have WPA Enterprise support - that's
> WPA with RADIUS rather than a Pre Shared Key. If not, you're going to
> need new APs - indeed, you may find the that existing APs really aren't
> up to the job even if they do have WPA Enterprise support. The 'sales'
> pitch is that you will be securing your wireless network properly. I'd
> go for a proper enterprise AP this time, and you could certainly
> evaluate the 3Com units I've mentioned.
>
> Just to indicate how an enterprise grade AP needn't cost a fortune,
> current pricing in the UK is around GBP75 for the Netgear WPN802, whilst
> the 3Com 7760 can be had for GBP110 and the 3Com 8760 for GBP175. Power
> over Ethernet makes installation much easier. Overall, the price of
> decent network infrastructure is coming down; a decent 24 port 10/100
> plus 2 port 10/100/1000 L2 managed switch such as a HP Procurve 2510-24
> is around GBP200 now.
>

> If everything has WPA2 support, deploy WPA2, but you may have some
> clients that only support WPA AES, in which case WPA2-Mixed mode may
> come to the rescue. If you have some clients that only support WPA TKIP,
> you'll probably have to use WPA Enterprise TKIP.
>
> It's in this sort of scenario that the virtual APs of the 3Com units are
> useful - you can use WPA2 when possible, whilst accommodating kit that
> can't manage WPA2 as well, optionally on a separate VLAN that maybe
> doesn't have access to more secure internal services.
>
> Indeed, you can use the 3Com APs to provide simultaneous wireless
> hotspot service via a captive portal setup (such as Chillispot) and
> RADIUS authenticated access to the internal network for authorised users
> - again, it's the virtual AP feature that comes in so useful.
>

>>I know that the solution is to implement a radius
>>authentication with the APs that we have.  The APs support radius servers
>>using either WAP or legacy 802.1X (with WEP keys).  I did tons of research
>>on WAP (being the preferred method), but I could not get around the fact
>>that certificates MUST be installed in the client computer in order for
the
>>protocol to work.  This is simply impossible since most of our students
(and
>>staff for that matter) are unable to install certificates (or unwilling)
and