pool-key issue in rlm_sqlippool

Hugh Messenger hugh at alaweb.com
Wed Jul 4 20:50:53 CEST 2007

I have a problem with the pool-key in rlm_sqlippool.

The pool-key is defined in the 'global' sqlippool.conf thusly:

## Attribute which should be considered unique per NAS

 ## Using NAS-Port gives behaviour similar to rlm_ippool.

 ## Using Calling-Station-Id works for NAS that send fixed NAS-Port

 pool-key = "%{NAS-Port}"

 #pool-key = "%{Calling-Station-Id}"

The reason for this choice is obviously that dialup and broadband NAS's
treat NAS-Port differently.  Which is all well and good, but I need to use
sqlippool for both wireless AND dialup requests.  And although my wireless
NAS's (Mikrotiks) do set a unique NAS-Port, it is too unique for the
allocate-clear query, which is designed to "unstick" assigned IP's for which
the 'stop' query was lost.  The only way to do this for the wireless NAS's
is to use Calling-Station-Id (which is set to the MAC of the wireless user).
But that breaks things for dialups.

A classic Catch-22.  So, I need to somehow configure things such that I'm
using NAS-Port for dialup pools, and Calling-Station-Id for wireless pools.
I'm sure there must be some way of configuring this using different
instances or virtual hoojamaflips, but I'm just going round in circles
trying to figure it out.

If it helps, I already have my dialup and wireless defined by Huntgroup.

Any assistance much appreciated!

   -- hugh