Interim-Updates

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Fri Jul 13 09:31:12 CEST 2007

On Fri 13 Jul 2007, Stefan Winter wrote:
> > Exactly. Although of course your DB columns need to be able to hold the
> > large numbers as well so they should be of type BIGINT like:
> >
> >   AcctInputOctets bigint(20) default NULL,
> >   AcctOutputOctets bigint(20) default NULL,
> >
> > I updated the MySQL schema a couple of days ago to reflect this, but
> > have not updated the default queries yet as I haven't had time to test
> > them. (MySQL doesn't always accept "standard" SQL and I didnt want to
> > break anything)
> >
> > If someone has time to test this before I do, please shoot me a mail
> > with tested working queries for MySQL...
>
> Hm, Alan commited my fix for this very problem to the HEAD CVS already. I
> assume you backported it to 1.1.x? Or did you re-do it? In any case, my
> fixes to the queries and schema are tested, running in our production
> environment for quite a while.
>
> BTW, that link from the OP on the netexperise.eu web site
> (http://www.netexpertise.eu/en/FreeRadius/DailyAcct.html) should really be
> amended with the proper instructions to put gigawords into older versions
> of FreeRADIUS (adding these extra columns to hold the gigawords and even
> more going to the lengths of introducing stored procedures is _really_
> hacky). A set of instructions is in the FreeRADIUS Wiki already:
>
> http://wiki.freeradius.org/FAQ#How_do_I_enable_logging_of_64_bit_counters.
>2C_a.k.a._Acct-.7BInput.7COutput.7D-Gigawords.3F

I have also changed the FAQ around a little. That section now lives at:

http://wiki.freeradius.org/FAQ#Why_do_Acct-Input-Octets_and_Acct-Output-Octets_wrap_at_4_GB.3F

I think it better describes the symptom (which is what people reading FAQs
are searching for) rather then the problem. I have linked the old section to
the new section so no links go missing.

Cheers

--

Peter Nixon