PHP issues with PHP 4.3.9 and dialup_admin

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 19:45:12 CEST 2007

On 6/16/07, Josh Howlett <J.Howlett at ukerna.ac.uk> wrote:
> Ethan,
>
> Have you got the freeradius-mysql RPM installed?

I don't know if I remembered to post a followup or not, but,
"undefined constant" messages aside (which are caused by a change to
how PHP requires single quotes), my real problems with dialup_admin
not working at all (blank screens), was caused by a missing rpm
related to PHP and a reported/documented "feature" that if you call a
PHP function that does not exist, you get no feedback in the way of
error messages - just total silence.  Personally, I find this to be a
nail in the coffin for PHP as far as I'm concerned.  If I typo a
function call or forget to load some optional package, I want to
_know_ I've done something wrong.  BASIC tells you if you try to GOSUB
to a non-existent line number.  The C linker barfs if you try to call
a function that's not present at link-time.  Why can't PHP do
something as simple as report that you asked it to jump to a
non-existent function at run time?

So I did get dialup_admin working, but only after a lot of cleanup to
eliminate trivial warning messages from cluttering the debugging
process and obscuring the real problem.

-ethan