Freeradius 1.1.5 on RH 7.3 crashes

Dario Palmisano Dario.Palmisano at icgeb.org
Wed Mar 14 15:59:10 CET 2007

Dear All,

I successfully used freeradius-1.0.5 on our RedHat 7.3 system for a couple
years to authenticate wireless and VPN clients. I decided to upgrade to the
version 1.1.5 to enable the wireless connection on a few Windows Vista
clients.

I downloaded the source freeradius-1.1.5.tar.gz and customized the provided
freeradius.spec. Essentially in the configure I added:
        --with-openssl-includes=/usr/local/ssl/include \
        --with-openssl-libraries=/usr/local/ssl/lib \
(as openssl-0.9.7i is installed in /usr/local/ssl/lib) and removed:
        --with-system-libtool \)

and succefully produced the rpm for my system.

I installed it and it worked even for 6, 7 hours (enabling the wireless
clients to work, included the Vista clients) but then invariably it crashed.
Apparently, (from the various logs attached) it always crashed after the
configuration reload, but it is not evident if immedialtely after the reload
or some time later.

The crash can some time be initiated by sending kill -HUP at the radiusd
process.

Trying to minimze the frequency of the crashed I set:

max_request_time = 10

but without any change in the behaviour.

Any suggestion on how to solve the problem would be appreciated.

Best regards

Dario

P.S.: Attached is a partial log (otherwise was too big), only username and
password are masked). I can provide longer logs on request.

Dario Palmisano
ICGEB Computer System & Network Administrator

Tel:              +39 040 3757330
Fax:              +39 040 226555
E-Mail:           Dario.Palmisano at icgeb.org

International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
Area Science Park, Padriciano 99,  I-34012 Trieste, ITALY