Performance testing

Kostas Kalevras kkalev at noc.ntua.gr
Fri Mar 30 13:40:42 CEST 2007

O/H Murray Hooper έγραψε:

> Are there any performance statistics available for freeradius? I am
> using 1.1.5 and mysql 5 and trying do determine if there will be a
> bottleneck in radius packet processing. The makers of my NAS are
> saying that this could become an issue and I am just trying to see
> what type of numbers people believe this solution should handle. Is it
> 10 transactions / second or 10,000.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> murray

In general FreeRADIUS will never be the bottleneck unless you are doing
things like calling external scripts (instead of using
rlm_perl/rlm_python). What you should do is make sure that your database
can handle the load (create indexes, enlarge cache size etc).
See the testimonials page on http://www.freeradius.org/testimonials.html
for actual cases.
Don't expect your installation to handle more than a few
transactions/sec unless you are handling way too much traffic.As long as
your sql dabatase is quick enough you won't have any problems.
You can find a few performance tips on a page of my blog at
http://kkalev.wordpress.com/2007/03/25/radius-server-performance-tips/
Hope this helps