freeradius <=> MS IAS passthrough

Ian Savoy isavoy at ewebforce.net
Thu May 17 17:24:54 CEST 2007

So, I made sure all of our settings were configured correctly in
proxy.conf and in clients.conf.  the way we tested, was i had the IAS
server set the reply message to "yes" like John mentioned.  This helped
a great deal.

What's happening, is when i use the radclient to auth DIRECTLY to the
IAS server, i get an Access-Accept response.  However, when i use the
proxy, they are receiving an encrypted password...either that or an
incorrectly encrypted password that cannot be decrypted by their IAS.  I
am using the Password attribute with radclient rather than
User-Password, so i believe when i was using radclient it was sending an
unencrypted password.  When i run radiusd -X, I am able to see his
password, so I'm assuming it's being relayed in plain-text is this
correct?  or does debug mode decrypt the password for my viewing pleasure?

I guess the root of my question is, Does IAS send plain-text passwords?
Also is there a way i can send the password to IAS via an encryption
method that it can understand without making a global change?  this
can't be done in proxy.conf, so would the answer than be user specific?
On the IAS end the reason why they can't auth is their problem - their
proxy is stripping the realm info from teh username and just sending us
user@, i.e. no realm info, but how do i set the FR proxy to relay the
login info via an encryption method that can be understood by IAS?  they
accept the following auth methods - MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP V2, CHAP, and PAP.

Thanks for your help again guys (gals)!

-Ian Savoy

--
Ian Savoy