db performance

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Thu May 17 20:01:00 CEST 2007

On Thu 17 May 2007, Angelos Karageorgiou wrote:
> Hello gentle people
>
> Has anyone had the time to do a DB performance comparison for heavily
> loaded freeradius servers ?

Yep. Last "production" load test I did was with Postgresql 7.x, FreeRADIUS
1.0 and my pgsql-voip.conf was on a 4GB table and I was happily pushing a
steady 800 Accounting requests per second on a single CPU P4 3.0 desktop
machine with a single 7200rpm PATA disk. This was around 5 years ago.

My current production servers are single Opteron CPU SunFire 2100 machines
with SATA disks. The backend DBs are the same. The RADIUS boxes never break
3% CPU load. The Postgresql servers are IO bound by the SATA disks....

Basically on a properly designed DB server, with the correct indexes for your
data you are always going to be IO bound for any type of RADIUS requests
that dont involve EAP (expensive crypto operations)

HTH

--

Peter Nixon
http://www.peternixon.net/