problem connecting from windows xp to pptp server

Thibault Le Meur Thibault.LeMeur at supelec.fr
Thu May 31 17:17:05 CEST 2007

Hi Danny,

Let me correct just some things... can you confirm ?

> After a lot of help from Thibault I was able to connect from xp client.
>
> the causes for the problem was :
>
> 1.	missing raddattr plug-in to option.pptpd
> raddattr.so # after radius.so
>
> 2.	un update dictionary (Microsoft & merit) both in /etc/raddb &
> /etc/radiusclient

I think you don't have to update your FreeRADIUS dictionary at all:
_you_ had to because you did some tests and willingly modified them,
but I'm quite sure the one provided by the FreeRADIUS project are good
enough for this purpose ;-)

> 3.	include dictionary syntax ? should be :

> $INCLUDE /etc/raddb/dictionary.microsoft
>
> $INCLUDE /etc/raddb/dictionary.merit

This is the standard syntax for FreeRADIUS, but INCLUDE syntax for
radiusclient  /etc/radiusclient/dictionary file was (as you wrote me
in a private email):
INCLUDE /etc/radiusclient/dictionary.microsoft
INCLUDE /etc/radiusclient/dictionary.merit

> 4.	need to config the following options in option.pptpd
> refuse-pap
> refuse-chap
> refuse-mschap
> require-mppe
> +mschap
> +mschap-v2

Thanks Danny, for your summary to the list.

For everyone else:

I've begun a small tutorial on Poptop integration with FreeRADIUS:
http://wiki.freeradius.org/PopTop
It is currently linked to the http://wiki.freeradius.org/Example_Setups page.

Feel free to update it and/or move it to a more appropriate page on
the Wiki (maybe in howto) ?

Regards,
Thibault