Maintaining a (very) dynamic user list with freeradius

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Fri Nov 2 09:00:36 CET 2007

Hi,

What is the best way to maintain a very dynamic user list for freeradius
(on a Linux platform)?

I'm talking about a setup where every few minutes (sometimes every minute)
a user has to be added and/or removed, with in total up to about 200 users
in the user base at the same moment.

Ideally, I'd like to just regenerate the users file with a script whenever
a change is needed and let radiusd reload it, but I saw in the docs that
reloading the config (and the users file) is "expensive", so this will
probably not be very suitable for this situation.

If anyhow possible I'd like to minimize any extra overhead, and avoid
running PostgreSQL or MySQL servers, for example.  Maybe use DBM?

What is recommended for this purpose?
Thanks for all suggestions.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>