local ssh authentication via radius possible?

Dan Gahlinger dgahling at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 26 20:48:21 CET 2007

the client software I'm using is SecureCRT (windows - from vandyke) its a windows SSH client.

I don't understand most of what you said here. Hence my problem.

I did configure pam_radius with "debug" option.
there is no output created. It's impossible to tell if things are working the way they should
Login-Service is set to "TCP-Clear" now, and the log file produces only this:

Mon Nov 26 12:43:45 2007 : Info: rlm_exec: Wait=yes but no output defined. Did you mean output=none?
Mon Nov 26 12:43:45 2007 : Info: Ready to process requests.

and nothing else. No other logs anywhere, not even a failed "ssh" log in messages, warn, etc.

Maybe I should restate, clearly, what I'm trying to do. and see if it's possible, or makes sense.

we need a regular user using SSH client such as SecureCRT, or Putty, etc without modification, to login
via SSH to a linux server, and have the server use Radius for authentication.

These are "local" users with shell access. The radius would be local.
So instead of using the local password file, we want to use Radius.

Eventually the server they're logging into will point their radius to another radius server (also linux) running on the network.

I have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm grasping at straws.
You said to read the documentation, which, there wasn't much of in this regard, but I did anyhow.

Then you said to read pam_radius_auth, which I did, and attempted to implement.

Thankfully, logins using the local password file still works.

Using everything in the defaults without changing the user file doesn't make sense, because that's what we want to use for authentication,
only, in our case, it'd be on a central server instead of local, but I want to get local testing working first, just to make sure I understand it all.

at this point, I don't understand any of it, and yelling at me for doing the wrong things isn't helping.

you've seen my configuration files. I don't know how it should work, because I have no idea how it should look.

I'd appreciate a little bit of help here, some hints, some sample configs, would really really help.

I mean, if it's even possible to do what we're trying to do.