rlm_passwd and EAP-MD5

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Nov 30 19:38:36 CET 2007

Kolbjørn Barmen wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Hm, does this mean that even now when I use rlm_passwd and tacacs
>>> passwd file, I need to HUP radiusd whenever someone changes their
>>> password?
>> dont HUP the server, restart the process.
>
> But is this for real?  I need to restart the server if someone changes
> their password in the file that is configured with rlm_passwd?

Yes

> If so, that's not just a minor annoyance :P

Then use an SQL database.

HUP does not work reliably, and cannot be made to, for architectural
reasons. However, Alan has recently added code to the CVS HEAD which
will reload *certain* portions of the server (just "users" files I
believe) safely on HUP. You could possibly contribute (or pay someone to
do so) code to do this for rlm_passwd, but to be honest - why bother
when SQL is available?