EAP+MD5+SQL trouble

inl2goal syaoran.sakura at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 23:58:28 CEST 2007

Hello,

I am trying to configure freeradius with EAP/MD5+SQL support. I already
followed all the SQL configuration procedures suggested in the SQL HOW TO,
and the steps suggested in the EAP/MD5 HOW TO. However, for some reason when
I try to authenticate from the NAS i get the following output in the server

rlm_sql (sql): Released sql socket id: 3
  modcall[authorize]: module "sql" returns ok for request 5
  modcall[authorize]: module "eap" returns noop for request 5
modcall: leaving group authorize (returns ok) for request 5
auth: type Local
auth: No User-Password or CHAP-Password attribute in the request
auth: Failed to validate the user.
Delaying request 5 for 1 seconds
Finished request 5
Going to the next request
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Sending Access-Reject of id 13 to w.x.y.z port 21645
Waking up in 4 seconds...

It appears that it finds the user in SQL but then it does not do anything in
the EAP module. The log from the NAS says

*Jun  1 00:04:25: %RADIUS-4-RADIUS_DEAD: RADIUS server a.b.c.d:16214,16215
is not responding.
*Jun  1 00:04:37: %RADIUS-3-ALLDEADSERVER: Group radius: No active radius
servers found. Id 12.

I don't understand why it says it is dead if the server IS receiving the
request. What I find weird is that when I do a radtest from the server it
seems to find the user and password and sends an access-accept. I guess this
would make sense since there is no EAP involved in this case, but still, I
do not understand what is wrong in the rest of the configuration, as i have
followed all steps in the HOW TOs.

If anyone has an idea on what could be the problem i would appreciate the
help. Thank you.

Oskar