freeradius 1.0.2 with oracle backend

Sam Gibbs spgibbs at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 16:20:51 CEST 2007

I've setup freeradius by following the "Using Oracle as a Backend DB
for a Radius Server" document at www.ceta.ufm.edu.gt. The server will
load the rlm_sql_oracle module and start. It is also communicating
with the database properly. However, It will not authenticate users
from that database.

I get the following messages by watching the output of "radiusd -X"
<snip>
modcall[authorize]: module "sql" returns ok for request 8
modcall: group authorize returns ok for request 8
 rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type System
auth: type "System"
 Processing the authenticate section of radiusd.conf
modcall: entering group authenticate for request 8
 modcall[authenticate]: module "unix" returns notfound for request 8
modcall: group authenticate returns notfound for request 8
auth: Failed to validate the user.
Delaying request 8 for 1 seconds
Finished request 8
Going to the next request
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 10.28.4.10:32770, id=13, length=102
Sending Access-Reject of id 13 to 10.28.4.10:32770
<snip>

It will authenticate usernames that exist on the local system.  It
seems that it is defaulting to checking the password on the system
instead of the password stored in the database table.

Should I set a specific Auth-Type in the radreply table or is my
problem due to misconfiguration of radiusd.conf?

Thanks in advance,
Sam