[Fwd: Re: rlm_perl (threads) performance question]

Apostolos Pantsiopoulos apant at kinetix.gr
Tue Oct 16 20:29:22 CEST 2007

First of all thanks for your prompt replies

Alan DeKok wrote:
> Apostolos Pantsiopoulos wrote:
>
>> I did that. Actually it was the first thing I did. I got the same result.
>>
>>>   Also, the server does a LOT more than just running Perl.  You are
>>> measuring the time taken to run your Perl scripts.  The time taken to
>>> process a request can be VERY different.
>>>
>> I just benchmarked the "internal" script just to see if the DB is the
>> bottleneck. It is not.
>>

>   That's not what I meant.
>
>   The server has "RADIUS" work to do, on top of running your Perl code.
>  That means that there's less time to run your Perl code, because the
> server is busy managing the "RADIUS" side of things for you.

I see.

>> EVERY query did not take more than 0.03 secs ( thrice the size of the
>> mean time)
>>

>   i.e. if you don't run RADIUS, you don't see any overhead from RADIUS.
>

>> Yes, I agree that they are competing for resources (and in this case the
>> DB is the only resource, really).
>> But when my server gets choked up shouldn't  we expect to see big
>> response times during the benchmark
>> of the perl module?
>>

>   You are stuck on the idea that your Perl module is all that the server
> is doing.  It's not.

Well, yes that has been my main concern I must admit... because I have
seen so many replies in the mailing
list "urging" people to make the backend DB faster (and concentrating on
that aspect alone when the server performs poorly).
 I have all the other modules turned off.

>> (e.g. running the same queries from an outside
>> program I can get about 200 queries/sec from the DB
>>

>   ... and that program does NOTHING other than run DB queries.  So?\

Point.

>> , when my radiusd reaches the 50 r/s limit the DB idles at 10-24 q/s, so
>> the DB does not seem to be the problem)
>>

>   Find out what else is stopping the server from processing requests.
> Is there ANYTHING you have configured other than your Perl script?  If
> so, that may be the issue.

I''ll re-check it.
>   Alan DeKok.

Thanks again