Strange behaviour of rlm_chap (freeradius 1.1.7+mysql)

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Sep 6 13:25:06 CEST 2007

Dan Searle wrote:
> Hello? Is there anybody out there?

  Are you going to read previous responses on this list?

http://lists.freeradius.org/pipermail/freeradius-users/2007-August/065807.html

> Can someone who knows how CHAP
> works please explain to me how this could be happening?

  See the previous message.

> Does a CHAP challenge time-out after a certain amount of time? Does
> the rlm_chap module hold a copy of old CHAP challenge's and prevent
> the same one being re-used to stop replay attacks?

  No, and no.

  Try it using radclient.  Take the attributes printed out in debugging
mode from the Access-Request, and put them into a file.  Replace the
CHAP-Password hex stuff with the real password (radclient will do the
CHAP hashing).  Use radclient to send the packet to the server...
multiple times

  a) you see the same thing: bad RAM or memory corruption
  b) radclient always works: throw away your NAS and buy one that works.