Freeradius+Active directory - router login authentciation

Rakesh Jha rakesh at burgan.com
Mon Sep 10 08:21:42 CEST 2007

Alan,

Please see the complete output of radiusd -X as following -

Starting - reading configuration files ...
reread_config:  reading radiusd.conf
Config:   including file: /usr/local/etc/raddb/proxy.conf
Config:   including file: /usr/local/etc/raddb/clients.conf
Config:   including file: /usr/local/etc/raddb/snmp.conf
Config:   including file: /usr/local/etc/raddb/eap.conf
Config:   including file: /usr/local/etc/raddb/sql.conf
 main: prefix = "/usr/local"
 main: localstatedir = "/usr/local/var"
 main: logdir = "/usr/local/var/log/radius"
 main: libdir = "/usr/local/lib"
 main: radacctdir = "/usr/local/var/log/radius/radacct"
 main: hostname_lookups = no
 main: max_request_time = 30
 main: cleanup_delay = 5
 main: max_requests = 1024
 main: delete_blocked_requests = 0
 main: port = 0
 main: allow_core_dumps = no
 main: log_stripped_names = no
 main: log_file = "/usr/local/var/log/radius/radius.log"
 main: log_auth = no
 main: log_auth_badpass = no
 main: log_auth_goodpass = no
 main: pidfile = "/usr/local/var/run/radiusd/radiusd.pid"
 main: user = "(null)"
 main: group = "(null)"
 main: usercollide = no
 main: lower_user = "no"
 main: lower_pass = "no"
 main: nospace_user = "no"
 main: nospace_pass = "no"
 main: checkrad = "/usr/local/sbin/checkrad"
 main: proxy_requests = yes
 proxy: retry_delay = 5
 proxy: retry_count = 3
 proxy: synchronous = no
 proxy: default_fallback = yes
 proxy: dead_time = 120
 proxy: post_proxy_authorize = no
 proxy: wake_all_if_all_dead = no
 security: max_attributes = 200
 security: reject_delay = 1
 security: status_server = no
 main: debug_level = 0
read_config_files:  reading dictionary
read_config_files:  reading naslist
Using deprecated naslist file.  Support for this will go away soon.
read_config_files:  reading clients
read_config_files:  reading realms
radiusd:  entering modules setup
Module: Library search path is /usr/local/lib
Module: Loaded exec
 exec: wait = yes
 exec: program = "(null)"
 exec: input_pairs = "request"
 exec: output_pairs = "(null)"
 exec: packet_type = "(null)"
rlm_exec: Wait=yes but no output defined. Did you mean output=none?
Module: Instantiated exec (exec)
Module: Loaded expr
Module: Instantiated expr (expr)
Module: Loaded PAP
 pap: encryption_scheme = "crypt"
 pap: auto_header = yes
Module: Instantiated pap (pap)
Module: Loaded CHAP
Module: Instantiated chap (chap)
Module: Loaded MS-CHAP
 mschap: use_mppe = yes
 mschap: require_encryption = no
 mschap: require_strong = no
 mschap: with_ntdomain_hack = yes
 mschap: passwd = "(null)"
 mschap: ntlm_auth = "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth --request-nt-key
--domain=%{mschap:NT-D
omain:-burgan_dom} --username=%{mschap:User-Name:-None}
--challenge=%{mschap:Cha
llenge:-00} --nt-response=%{mschap:NT-Response:-00}"
Module: Instantiated mschap (mschap)
Module: Loaded System
 unix: cache = no
 unix: passwd = "(null)"
 unix: shadow = "(null)"
 unix: group = "(null)"
 unix: radwtmp = "/usr/local/var/log/radius/radwtmp"
 unix: usegroup = no
 unix: cache_reload = 600
Module: Instantiated unix (unix)
Module: Loaded eap
eap: default_eap_type = "tls"
 eap: timer_expire = 60
 eap: ignore_unknown_eap_types = no
 eap: cisco_accounting_username_bug = no
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type md5
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type leap
 gtc: challenge = "Password: "
 gtc: auth_type = "PAP"
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type gtc
 tls: rsa_key_exchange = no
 tls: dh_key_exchange = yes
 tls: rsa_key_length = 512
 tls: dh_key_length = 512
 tls: verify_depth = 0
 tls: CA_path = "(null)"
 tls: pem_file_type = yes
 tls: private_key_file = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/cert-srv.pem"
 tls: certificate_file = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/cert-srv.pem"
 tls: CA_file = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/demoCA/cacert.pem"
 tls: private_key_password = "whatever"
 tls: dh_file = "(null)"
 tls: random_file = "/dev/urandom"
 tls: fragment_size = 1024
 tls: include_length = yes
 tls: check_crl = no
 tls: check_cert_cn = "(null)"
 tls: cipher_list = "(null)"
 tls: check_cert_issuer = "(null)"
rlm_eap_tls: Loading the certificate file as a chain
rlm_eap_tls: Unable to open DH file - (null)
rlm_eap: Failed to initialize type tls
radiusd.conf[10]: eap: Module instantiation failed.
radiusd.conf[1962] Unknown module "eap".
radiusd.conf[1909] Failed to parse authenticate section.

As you have written 'as are most "helpful" pages not on freeradius.org',
can you please suggest some links which guide correctly to configure
radius, openssl and active directory.

Thanks a lot,
Rakesh Jha