converting pap to chap

Stefan Kronawithleitner stefan at kronawithleitner.at
Wed Sep 12 20:57:27 CEST 2007

Hello,

I have a little problem concerning proxying of pap-auths.

The existing setup is a freeradius 1.1.6, allowing auth from a NAS and
PEAP against an eDirectory (ldap) userbase, which works fine. However,
users of another realm should be proxied to another radius-server -
which works fine for PEAP, but failes from the NAS, because the NAS can
do only PAP - which is not allowed on the other radius-server.
It is not possible to make CHAP-Auth from the NAS or allow PAP on the
other side (which is not under my control).

So far, so bad.

But theoretically it should be possible, to convert a PAP-Auth to a
CHAP-Auth - so i did a search in the archives and found some threads of
users with the exact same problem. There was a conversation in 2003
between someone submitting a patch for a module and Alan DeKok - talking
about the best solution, but there never was a conclusion - only that it
is not possible without code modification.

I read through the changelogs, finding nothing like that - has there
been a change? Is it possible to convert PAP to CHAP? Howto?

Thanks in advance,
Stefan