Freeradius doesn't detect EAP when authenticating against MySQL

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Sep 17 12:16:02 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 22:08 +0100, Andrew Rowson wrote:

> tnt at kalik.co.yu wrote:
> > Comment it out anyway.  You are setting Auth-Type Local in SQL database
> > then. If not in radcheck then in radgroupcheck.
> >
> > Ivan Kalik
> > Kalik Informatika ISP
>
> I feel really stupid now. It was sitting there in radgroupcheck setting
> the auth-type to local.
>
> ARGH.
>
> Ok, regroup. The new output is in the same place as before
> (http://public.growse.com/radiusd.log) - it sets the auth-type to EAP

Sigh.

Don't set the Auth-Type AT ALL. The only legitimate uses are:

 * setting it to Accept for PAP requests
 * setting it to Reject
 * setting it to the name of a specific instance where there are >1 of
the same type of auth module with different configs (e.g. 2 different
LDAPs or 2 different mschap)

The "eap" module will itself detect the request is eap and (assuming the
server is configured correctly, as it is by default) set the Auth-Type.
By forcing it manually, you are guaranteeing that certain authentication
configurations will fail.

> and seems to issue the attributes (my cisco priv ones are there) ok. My
> laptop still doesn't get an IP address, but this may now be an issue
> with the AP.
>
> Can I safely now say that freeradius is behaving correctly and the issue
> is now with the AP, or does the above output still point to a freeradius
> issue?

I don't know why you're returning:

Cisco-AVPair = "shell:priv-lvl=15"
Service-Type = Administrative-User

...to an access point EAP session; neither make any sense, and I
suppose could be mucking things up, but most likely the problem lies
with the supplicant rather than the AP. It may not like the SSL server
certificate, though from what I can see it's not getting that far. Is
the supplicant configured to do EAP-TLS?

It's apparent you've done a serious amount of fiddling with the default
configs. I suggest doing a default/clean install, and starting from the
most basic - a user in the "users" file:

username	Cleartext-Password := "foobar"

Check if they can authenticate. Then setup the sql module, put the above
AND ONLY THE ABOVE entries in the database, and test again. Making once
change at a time will allow you to pin down the problem; at the moment,
there are lots of things it *could* be.