RFC 3579 and Access-Accepts

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Sep 19 15:48:49 CEST 2007

Stefan Winter wrote:
> it seems that FreeRADIUS is sending an EAP-Message fragment along with its
> Access-Accepts, as in:
> Whereas RFC 3579 , chapter 2.6.5 says:
> "An EAP-Message/EAP-Request/Notification SHOULD NOT be included within an
> Access-Accept or Access-Reject packet."

  See Appendix A.  They clearly show EAP-Success in an Access-Accept.

  See also Section 2.6.3:

   Access-Accept packets SHOULD have only one EAP-Message attribute in
   them, containing EAP Success; similarly, Access-Reject packets SHOULD
   have only one EAP-Message attribute in them, containing EAP Failure.

> This is now the second RADIUS implementation I see that behaves like that - is
> there a reason for the EAP-Message and something wrong with 3579, or is that
> SHOULD NOT just ignored by most?

  I'm curious as to which implementations *don't* send EAP-Success in
Access-Accept.  If they don't do that, then what the heck is in the
Access-Accept?