vmps documentation?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Apr 1 10:17:16 CEST 2008

Phil Mayers wrote:
> Normally you simply configure the module correctly i.e. prefix the key
> with a * and reply items with = as per "man rlm_passwd"
>
> modules {
>   passwd mac2vlan {
>     filename = /etc/raddb/mac2vlan
>     format = "*MyMac:=VMPS-VLAN-Name"
>     hashsize = 100

  You probably also want:  delimiter = ","
  The default is ":", which is part of the MAC address...

> ...however, the "vmps" section is really a re-named "post-auth" section,
> and the rlm_passwd module does not have a post-auth handler; so you need
> (I think) to do this:
> This is not documented AFAICT, but I've seen Alan mention it in a
> mailing list post and the code seems to be present in 2.0.3

  :)  There are a few "secret" features in the server.  Most don't
really matter, but they exist for future proofing.

  In any case, I've updated the "passwd" module to permit it to be
listed in the "post-auth" section.  There's no reason why it couldn't be
there in the first place.

  I've also updated radiusd.conf && sites-available/vmps with an
(edited) sample mac2vlan module.  Please double-check it.