Login-Service = Telnet

Stefan A. a.freeradius at premit.de
Thu Apr 3 01:12:08 CEST 2008

I've to set up my FR to let a User telnet into my Cisco Router.
Whithout further contact to my client until Friday, I will test my
environment in advance.

Accepting a session using this attributes will work fine. I'll get an IP and
can connect to the router using telnet.
Session-Timeout : 14400
Idle-Timeout : 600
AVPair : ip:wins-servers=10.1.1.223
Framed-IP-Address : 10.1.7.150
AVPair : ip:dns-servers=145.253.2.11

but accepting a session using the following attributes fails to connect.
Login-IP-Host : 10.1.7.201
Framed-IP-Address : 10.1.7.155
Login-Service : Telnet
Login-TCP-Port : 23

What application might I use to test this environment using a Windows XP
system? I thought I have to dialup the normal way and then start my Telnet
Client to configure the router?
If I configure my dialup settings to use PPP, I got refused/disconnectes
emmediately
If I configure my dialup settings to use SLIP, I will be disconnected after
about 22s.

What is the expected differnece or the advantage of using
Login-Service=Telnet?

Thank You.

Regards
Stefan