Missing NAS-Port in Access request with respect to RFC 2865 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Apr 7 07:53:31 CEST 2008

Ranner, Frank MR wrote:
> I've noticed that NAS-Port is sometimes not sent, particularly in
> accounting requests. This caused the
> Accounting request to essentially be discarded.

  Uh... no.  The server doesn't work like that.

> What I figured was to
> use the source udp port as a
> pseudo nas-port.

  This won't work.

> I did add some code to
> populate the Packet-Src-Port item,

  You don't need to do that.  The attribute exists if you reference it
as %{Packet-Src-Port}.

> and this did fix the accounting from
> with the Nortel switch I was testing. As it
> happened, each telnet session to the switch used a different console
> port, and the src port number reflected that.

  Well, yes.  NAS-Port is for *dial-in* port, or *switch* port.  It is
*not* for telnet sessions.

  You're trying to add NAS-Port to sessions that don't need it, don't
use it, and where it doesn't make sense.