Event-Timestamp

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Apr 25 12:29:33 CEST 2008

Alan DeKok wrote:
> Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
>
>> Ok and it's expanded to the string form with the double quotation marks?
>> why ?
>>

>   Bug.  Some things have extra quotation marks.  This is fix in 2.0.3,
> or maybe CVS.

Hmm running 2.0.3 must be CVS.
>> Indeed, I did something in unlang, but it'd be nice to have it in the
>> server core. Then I can update the SQL queries with
>> %{%{Packet-Original-Timestamp}:-%S} and it should all just work.
>>

>   Done.

Thanks. I didn't realise that the server updated the acctdelay stuff
too... woo so many options...

Did you have time to add the module return codes for authentication
success / failure messages ?
>> Another thing I noticed recently: For file based buffers the server
>> takes the detail file moves it to detail.work, processes all entries in
>> the work file then repeats the process.
>>

>   Yes.  It has to do that for a number of reasons.
>

>> On one of our servers I made a typo when recreating the symbolic link to
>> start the detail reading server, I didn't notice the error for a number
>> of days, by which time the detail file was ~400mb. Our servers are
>> restarted nightly and the rate of inserts is so slow that the server
>> can't get through 400mb of detail file in under 24hrs. So when it's
>> restarted the whole process starts again.
>>
>> It's not a huge problem, as accounting data isn't massively important to
>> us, but possibly putting an upper limit on the .work file might be useful.
>>

>   It can't, because it's just a renamed "detail" file.  If the detail
> file is 400M, so is detail.work.

Yes I was talking about taking a slice of the detail file, and writing
it to the work file, but that's a lot more work that just moving the
detail file (in terms of disk I/O).
>   Or, update it so that it reads *all* of the detail files in a
> directory.  That way, the process writing the detail files can write
> them every hour, day, etc.

Yep that seems like the most sensible/ flexible solution. So you just
specify a directory in the listen section for it to search for detail
files in.

Thanks,
Arran