Radius-based windows authentication

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Apr 25 17:51:28 CEST 2008

Mike Perdide wrote:
> Phil Mayers wrote:
>> Is the windows machine a domain member?
> No it's not. Only the users are.

?

When you sit at the login screen, and press ctrl+alt+del, are you
logging in with a username and password which is checked against the
domain controllers?

If so, then the machine *is* joined into the domain.

>> I think you are asking "is it possible for the client to do 802.1x with
>> the username/password typed into the login box" and the answer is "yes".
> That's exactly my question, thanks ;).
>
>>   1. Using the windows native supplicant and machine account
>> authentication. Basically the process is this:
>>      * machine powers on - no-one logged in
>>      * machine uses its own domain account to login "host/$machinename"
>>      * user presses ctrl+alt+del
> When you say user presses ctrl+alt+del, you mean that he closes the session
> and uses his own login ?

No. The machine is sitting at the login prompt, and the user presses
ctrl+alt+del to bring up the login box.