dot1x specification EAPOL-Logoff clarification

Artur Hecker hecker at wave-storm.com
Wed Apr 30 17:45:51 CEST 2008

Hi

>>> This is where it gets interesting. Just because the dot1x
>>> controlled port is in the closed state, it does not mean that
>>> another .1D bridge filter can't be open and allow traffic. HP et
>>> al have introduced (or are attempting) to introduce two tiered
>>> authentication, where the client is authenticated by MAC Address
>>> using RADIUS authentication, and then may 'Elevate' by sending an
>>> EAPOL-Start or Responding to an Ident Request. If the EAP session
>>> is terminated, with an EAP-Logoff then the client is Re-
>>> Authenticated with MAC-Based authentication.
>>
>> Ok, this is something else once again. However, imo this is a very
>> different problem. This is the integration of two tiers of a multi-
>> tier access control. This cannot be within the scope of the
>> standardization of any single access control type used here.
>>
>> It is therefore up to the manufacturer to make sure that his
>> solution is feasible, reliable and that it works. Just one other
>> word: especially in multi-tier environment, there should be a
>> precise distinction of different EAPOL packets. Thus, especially in
>> this environment the signing of EAP-Logoff seems vital. Otherwise
>> the outer tier could always send you a spoofed confirmation even
>> though it never gave your Logoff to the inner tier, etc.
>>
>> Anyway, it's a very different problem, out of scope of dot1X.
> What scope does this fall within ?!

The problem is not within the standard, but how to build a system out
of several ones. From the standard point of view, I still think that
not confirming EAPOL-Logoff is a valuable design choice. As opposed to
not have signed it :-)

I guess there is no standard which could reign over the application of
other standards. These things are usually called "best practices". But
I doubt there is one for multi-tier network access authentication with
per-minute accounting :-)

>>> I don't see how you could spoof EAPOL-Logoff packets in an
>>> encrypted wireless medium, unless you'd already cracked the WPA
>>> keys... You'd need to crack the unicast key for the target
>>> client....
>>
>> Stop - the EAPOL packets are neither signed NOR encrypted, in any
>> medium.
>>
>> That's the whole problem I'm talking about. They are *not* data
>> traffic, these are management frames, as defined by 802.1X (1 =
>> management). They never go through TKIP, CCMP, WEP etc. Since MAC
>> addresses cannot be encrypted neither by definition, you can safely
>> take the source address of the user and send EAPOL Logoff on his
>> behalf.
>>

> Woha, I didn't realise that ! Ok yes this could be a big issue.

Given the ease of this DDoS attack, I usually propose to ignore any
EAP-Logoff altogether within the Authenticator PAE - if possible. As I
said, this decision is up to the AuthServer. If the Session-Timeout is
very short in respect to your Accounting intervals necessary for
billing, I think you do not need to rely on it.

artur