How to link radiusd statically?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Aug 5 16:40:05 CEST 2008

abhay at clearcrypt.com wrote:
> I would like to build radiusd with all necessary libraries statically linked
> in. I have tried the following command
>
> ./configure --enable-shared=no --enable-static=yes

  That should work *if* you have static libraries available.

> During linking phase, there are a bunch of problems; 1. libperl.a is not
> found (that has been fixed by downloading Perl 5.8.8 and building it
> locally); 2. many undefined functions, mainly in libkrb5.a

  Exactly.  Your OS has not supplied static libraries.  I suggest
removing the modules you don't need, as that may help.  i.e. If you
don't need kerberos, just "rm -rf src/modules/rlm_krb5".

> Is this a way to go? Has anyone successfully built freeradius 2.0.5 with
> static linkage?

  A number of times.  Usually with various amounts of fighting the OS.

  I have no idea why vendors don't supply static libraries.  It's not
like disk space is expensive these days.