Does Avenda use freeradius?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Aug 6 10:05:11 CEST 2008

paul smith wrote:
> Its a RADIUS appliance with a nice GUI, but I think FreeRADIUS offers
> all the features that it does.

  Pretty much, yes.  It has other features (captive portal, etc.), but
those may not be critical in your site.

> Does anyone have any experience of it? Or a comparison between it and
> FreeRADIUS?
>
> Also I think it may be FreeRADIUS underneath, does anyone know if that
> is the case?

  Maybe.  A number of these appliance vendors think they have value-add
writing their own RADIUS server.  I have no idea why...

  If you can get an evaluation box, do PEAP authentication, and look at
the packet traces.  It's pretty easy to tell FreeRADIUS from the other
RADIUS servers. :)