MAC authenticating with mySQL database

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Aug 7 09:04:25 CEST 2008

Kjell Bruheim wrote:
> users file have these entries for mac auth:
> 000000-000000 Auth-Type := Local, User-Password == "000000-000000"

  We *have* seen MAC address authentication before.

  Some comments:

1) Don't set Auth-Type.
2) Use "Cleartext-Password := ...", not "User-Password == ..."
   See the FAQ for an example.

> And i am not sure what to put where in the sql database.
> How to put data into the sql database, is not the problem. But what.
> I have inserted all the tables in the sql/mysql folder. So it would be
> nice if someone knew where to put the data and what of that string above
> should go in to the database. Or point me to a good HOWTO.

  You insert the text into the appropriate fields in the radcheck table.
 See the schema for the names of the fields.  The fields are named
*descriptively*... i.e. if you read the schema, it should be pretty
obvious what's going on.

  And yes, this is not the complete hand-holding you asked for.  There
are good reasons for this.  You need to *understand* your system.
Blindly following instructions doesn't help.