Compiling pam_radius_auth.so on MacOS 10.3.9 (PPC)

Alex Coco alexgcoco at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 18:26:47 CEST 2008

Hello,

I have an older eMac in my lab I am using to test the PAM module
(pam_radius-1.3.17) and have been able to compile by changing the
Makefile to use:

gcc -bundle pam_radius_auth.o md5.o -lpam -lc -o pam_radius_auth.so

for the final linking of the shared object.  The resulting .so seems to
work except the password hashing comes out garbled on the server side
and debug output indicates:

Server Side:

  WARNING: Unprintable characters in the password. ?  Double-check the
shared secret on the server and the NAS!

Client Side:

pam_radius_auth: packet from RADIUS server 192.168.2.4 fails
verification: The shared secret is probably incorrect

However I've gone over the secrets on both side more times than I can
remember, I even slipped in a debug message into pam_radius_auth.c to
report the secret to make sure the file (/etc/raddb/server) was parsing
properly.  The secrets are identical, which leaves me to think that
there's something about the crypto algorithm that's not matching between
the client and server and I have successfully tested using PAM on the
Linux machine that hosts the server (Ubuntu 7.10).

Any suggestions or pointers as to where the problem may lie are greatly
appreciated.

-alex