Issue with PAP/LDAP authentication after upgrade FR 2.0.5 to FR 2.1.1

Thibault Le Meur Thibault.LeMeur at supelec.fr
Wed Dec 3 17:40:46 CET 2008

Thanks a lot for your answer,

tnt at kalik.net a écrit :
>> I've just (auto)updated my FR from 2.0.5 to 2.1.1 and some
>> authentications stop working.
>> For these specific authentications the ldap module is used to retrieve
>> the password from LDAP (hashed with MD5 or CRYPT, ...), and then PAP is
>> used to compare the passwords (auto_header is turned on in the pap module).
>>

> It doesn't look on. Post the debug of the server startup.

You're quite right, the pap module isn't instantiated with the expected
values.

Here the abstract of the starting block of the debug log:
-------------
 Module: Checking authenticate {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_pap
 Module: Instantiating pap
  pap {
        encryption_scheme = "auto"
        auto_header = no
  }
-------------

I've searched and finally found out what occured. I'm using Fedora Core
9 and after the FR package update here is what occured: a lot of files
including module files from the new RPM package were added as
/etc/raddb/modules/<modulename>.rpmnew
So at startup here is what is loaded:
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/pap.rpmnew
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/pap

Most of my setup was working because I use specific instance of the
modules such as "ldap-mycompany" and not the default "ldap" name.
However, I use the std name for the pap module... I may change this in
the future to avoid such issues after upgrade.

I don't know if I should report this to the package maintainer or not.
What do you think ?

Again, thanks a lot for your help.
Regards,
Thibault