Beating a dead horse, or freeradius 2.1.1 and active directory

Ben Little BLittle at skylight.com
Wed Dec 3 20:30:02 CET 2008

PAP is working:

++[pap] returns updated
Found Auth-Type = PAP
+- entering group PAP {...}
[pap] login attempt with password "secretz"
[pap] Using clear text password "secretz"
[pap] User authenticated successfully
++[pap] returns ok
+- entering group post-auth {...}
++[exec] returns noop
Sending Access-Accept of id 21 to *.*.*.* port 1645
	Cisco-AVPair = "shell:priv-lvl=15"
Finished request 1.
Going to the next request
Waking up in 4.9 seconds.
Cleaning up request 1 ID 21 with timestamp +431
Ready to process requests.

For some reason though, even when configured to do so, the authentication attempt coming from a switch or router is not being forwarded to the KDC.  I have followed that how-to now to the letter and Active Directory is not working, however active directory and krb are both working fine on the server;

[wbinfo -a test%test output]
plaintext password authentication failed
Could not authenticate user test%test with plaintext password
challenge/response password authentication succeeded

I'm not sure what I am missing here? Why isn't the login attempt on the switch being forwarded to active directory?  Is there something within the switch that meeds to be set? A radius attribute maybe to identify the login attempt as mschap?