How to log failed auth attempts?

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Thu Dec 18 05:39:01 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 07:51:48PM -0600, Todd R. wrote:
> This seems odd, I can't be the first person to want to have the reason for
> the reject in the SQL table??
>
> It can't be rocket science to get this to log in the DB when it's already
> being logged in the text logs??

You are probably the first to want the exact same text.  Someone may
have wanted to log the reason for the reject, but they probably didn't
care about the exact representation of that reason.

If you want this, I suspect that you will need to look at the source
code which generates the text for the log module.  It may tell you the
correct varible to use so you can store the correct reason value in the
database.  You can then build logic in your reporting logic to show you
the text you want.  That would likely be more efficient, storage wise,
for your database too.

It's not rocket science, but it is likely "some assembly required."

I am not a FreeRADIUS developer, so this is speculation.

lambert at lambertfam.org