Different IP Pool per proxied realm

Tony Spencer tony at eurisp.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 12:38:41 CET 2008

Hi all

I’m trying to assign a different IP Pool per realm, instead of the IP being
assigned by the NAS.
However after reading some postings and doing some searching I can’t get
this to work.
The realms we want to assign different IP Pools to, we proxy to different
customers.
So we don’t do the authentication for these realms, we just proxy to
authentication.

We are using FreeRADIUS Version 1.0.1 and using MySQL and not flat files.
Our NAS is a Cisco 7304 terminating L2TP for DSL users.

So far I’ve tried to add the following to the users file:

DEFAULT Realm == "realm1.com", Pool-Name := "pool_one"

And created the pool in radiusd.conf:

        ippool pool_one {
                range-start = 192.168.1.1
                range-stop = 192.168.1.254

                netmask = 255.255.255.0

                cache-size = 800

                session-db = ${raddbdir}/db.ippool

                ip-index = ${raddbdir}/db.ipindex

                override = no

                maximum-timeout = 0
        }

But when the user logs in they get assigned an IP from the NAS and not from
the IP Pool.
Am I doing something wrong?
Does this not work if I'm use MySQL?

Thanks in advance