Proxy RADIUS from MSCHAPv1 to MSCHAPv2

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Feb 23 14:40:02 CET 2008

Franco Pieressa wrote:
> Hi! I have a NAS that ONLY support MSCHAPv1 (requiring the Microsoft
> RADIUS extended attribute MS-CHAP-MPPE-Keys), that need to authenticate
> with a RADIUS server that ONLY support MSCHAPv2.

  This doesn't appear to have anything to do with FreeRADIUS.

> Can I proxy RADIUS packets through FreeRADIUS and convert MSCHAPv1 <-->
> MSCHAPv2?  To be more specific, is it possible to make the
> MS-CHAP-MPPE-Keys (v1) from then MS-MPPE-Send-Key (v2)?

  Why not just upgrade your NAS and RADIUS server?  They both appear to
be substantially broken.

  And no, I don't think FreeRADIUS supports this.  Maybe it's possible,
but as this is the first time I've seen anyone ask for it, it's not a
high priority.