Changing Reply-Message for expired Password

Tim White weirdit at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 18:40:34 CET 2008

$ freeradius -v
freeradius: FreeRADIUS Version 1.1.6, for host i486-pc-linux-gnu, built
on Jun  8 2007 at 17:17:46

I'm using Freeradius, with MySQL (rlm_sql) as the backend for Coova
Chilli (and it's JSON interface). Unfortunately, the reply-message when
the password is expired, contains a newline at the end, which breaks
chilli (due to the newline being in the JSON object, which breaks).
Short of recompiling Freeradius with the newlines removed, is there an
easier way to change this reply-message?

It appears in some versions of FreeRadius there is a rlm_expiration
module or something which allows it to be changed?

If I have to upgrade manually (using Ubuntu Server), then I'm sure I can
do that. But I'd rather not upgrade yet (seeing as everything other than
that is work, so I don't want to break other stuff for a minor breakage).

Thanks

Tim