Machine auth without cert - EAP-PEAP/MSCHAPV2

Ryan Kramer rkramer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 22:04:51 CET 2008

I've been experimenting with machine auth without using a cert, but I seem
to be stuck on the fact that FreeRadius will not authenticate a local user.

I see the request come across through debugging with a username of
"host/mymachine.mydomain.com", and no password, and in my users file I have

"host/mymachine.mydomain.com" Cleartext-Password="", Auth-Type := Local,
MS-CHAP-Use-NTLM-Auth := 0
        Filter-ID = "WIRELESS-USER",
        Fall-Through = 0

but for some reason it never authenticates...  I've tried every both without
the MS-CHAP option, that doesn't seem to change it.  Also tried
User-Password instead of cleartext password, no change.  Any suggestions?

Ryan