Step 1: Configuring PAP fails with: No authenticate method (Auth-Type) configuration found for the request: Rejecting the user

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Feb 26 20:40:23 CET 2008

Phil Mayers wrote:
> Russell D. Mitchell wrote:
>> OK, so I changed the line in my users file to the following:
>>
>> bob     Auth-Type := Accept, Cleartext-Password := "hello"
>>
>> And it now works, but I don't think this is the right thing to do.
>> Besides, it was supposed to 'just work'.
>>
>> /Russ
>>
>> Russell D. Mitchell wrote:
>>> I've installed freeradius-server-2.0.2 onto a Fedora Core-5 machine,
>
> Are you sure you're running FreeRadius 2 - the debug looks like a
> FreeRadius 1.1.x version to me, as does the lack of the "pap" section
> which would set the Auth-Type

Yep, sure enough - a vanilla 2.0.2 install looks very different, and
does indeed "just work" with:

user	Cleartext-Password := "pass"

...in /etc/raddb/users:

rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 127.0.0.1 port 32770, id=188,
length=56
         User-Name = "user"
         User-Password = "pass"
         NAS-IP-Address = 127.0.0.1
         NAS-Port = 1
+- entering group authorize
++[preprocess] returns ok
++[chap] returns noop
++[mschap] returns noop
     rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "user", looking up realm NULL
     rlm_realm: No such realm "NULL"
++[suffix] returns noop
   rlm_eap: No EAP-Message, not doing EAP
++[eap] returns noop
++[unix] returns notfound
     users: Matched entry user at line 1
++[files] returns ok
++[expiration] returns noop
++[logintime] returns noop
++[pap] returns updated
   rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type
auth: type "PAP"
+- entering group PAP
rlm_pap: login attempt with password "pass"
rlm_pap: Using clear text password "pass"
rlm_pap: User authenticated successfully
++[pap] returns ok
Login OK: [user/pass] (from client localhost port 1)
Sending Access-Accept of id 188 to 127.0.0.1 port 32770
Finished request 0.

I'd check you don't have a version of FreeRadius installed e.g. via RPM;
you are probably getting /usr/sbin in the path before /usr/local/sbin
and running the existing version.