Support for RFC4372 (Chargeable User Identity)

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jan 7 15:31:27 CET 2008

Stefan Winter wrote:
> is that implemented in FR, be it 1.1 or 2.0? According to
> http://wiki.freeradius.org/RFC it shouldn't be.

  It's in the dictionaries...

> From my reading of the RFC, defining it "by hand" in radreply is not
> considered good enough, because it has a specific logic behind it:
>
> (2.1)
>
> If a home RADIUS server that supports the CUI attribute receives an
>    Access-Request packet containing a CUI (set to nul or otherwise), it
>    MUST include the CUI attribute in the Access-Accept packet.

  That can be done via policy logic in "unlang".

  if ("%{Chargeable-User-Identifier}")  {
	update reply {
		Chargeable-User-Identifier = ....

> So, always sending it via radreply would ignore the SHOULD NOT. Not defining
> it at all though makes it difficult for the server to maintain a persistent
> yet anonymous handle. So something like defining it by hand but only
> including it if it was asked for would be needed. Is that logic present in
> FR?

  Nope.  It's 4 lines of text, as above.

  The only complexity is *creating* it, and mapping it to a known user.
 This can be done via additional logic, and stored in SQL, for example.