How to enable only EAP-TTLS type and not EAP-TLS?

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Thu Jan 10 14:10:26 CET 2008

>   No.  You are saying that the supplicant should trust those root CA's
> for ALL authentication.
>
>   i.e. you have a certificate for "example.com", signed by Verisign.
> The supplicant is configured to trust the verisign-signed certificates,
> because that's what you have.
>
>   Now *anyone* who is issued a certificate from verisign can
> authenticate your users.  If your users are using EAP-TTLS with PAP
> authentication, you've just convinced them to send their clear-text
> password to some random person on the Internet.
>
>   RADIUS certificates for EAP should ALMOST ALWAYS be self-signed.  That
> means that no one else can successfully convince the users to send them
> the passwords.

I definitely second that. We keep telling our eduroam participants that
well-known CAs are not only no plus, but instead MAY introduce insecurity
(properly configured supplicants also check the CN in the certificate, which
makes the risk go away; still, if a user forgets that, recognised CAs
introduce a threat while self-signed ones don't).

Either self-signed certs or at least dedicated CAs for the specific purpose of
RADIUS Auth are the best practice.

Some people which are in possession of a cert-store-present (read:
browser-recognised) CA think it solves all problems whatsoever. They have a
hard time laerning that it can actually be a hindrance, but it is a lesson
everyone who is really concerned about security should learn at some point.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--
Stefan WINTER

Stiftung RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de
la Recherche
Ingenieur Forschung & Entwicklung

6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg