Not sending a reply packet from proxy

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 02:01:22 CET 2008

Hi,

We have quite extensive proxy step up. With a few dozens of  realms
and a small army of home  servers. Some of those home servers belong
to our wholesale customers. Normally devices send packets to to the
geographically closest proxy servers, which in turn use the closest
(geographically again) home servers. When the proxies don't get reply
from the home servers (because for example the link went down) they
return a 'Reject' - as expected.

Some customers of ours are not entirely happy with that approach as
they would like to get those packets answered by a different home
servers farm in a different city. Our proxies do not forward packets
between cities (mainly for efficiency and manageability reasons), but
our devices can fall back to a different proxy farm (in a different
city) if the primary IP for that customer (freeradius farm load
balanced by a SLB) goes down.

Is it possible to discard the packet on the proxy if the home server
doesn't reply and let the device to fall back to a different proxy?

Currently we use radius 1.1.7, but looking into upgrading it to 2.0.0.

kind regards
Pshem