NAS list update without restarting radius server.

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jan 23 14:04:29 CET 2008

Pawel Cieplinski wrote:
> I wont be adding NASes, but users will do, so i am thinking 0-10 a day.
>
> Linking to a dynamic list using interal its not a good solution, becouse i
> will need to wait for list update after adding NAS.

  If the list update takes longer than 1/10 of a second, something is
very wrong.

> Other solution i am thinking is to run two instances of server and restart
> them in round robin and use iptables to redirect packets to actual working
> server.

  Yuck.  That's a lot more complicated.

> Goal is to serveradius to third party as a service, so users will add their
> own nases, modified them etc, at this stage i cannot really say how many
> times a day i will need a restart, but i am wondering about also about
> following soltion:

  For all that work, why not just fix the server so that it can be
safely HUP'd?

  Honestly, I'm wondering why people will put huge efforts into building
and maintaining multiple machines rather than doing tiny bits of coding.
 If the functionality is *that* important, it should be important enough
to add to the server core.